Rendezvous Film and Music Festival
The world will be coming to Amelia Island to celebrate indie film, music, and gaming when the Rendezvous Festival
kicks off in Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach beginning June 5th and running through June 13th. According to Chairman Randy Bowman, Rendezvous, a re-branding and expansion of the Amelia Island Film Festival, "has gone from regional to international. You can see a short film, then hop over to a discussion, go to a concert and a premiere, all within the historic downtown area...we've designed it so people to choose wisely and not miss a thing."
We asked Bowman to pick out the top five things not to miss this year:
- The opening night festivities on June 5th give an experience of all three Festival elements, film, gaming, music. A red carpet walk and premiere of "The Walk" will be followed by an indie rock concert by Weekend Atlas, and then an after-party featuring the latest gaming videos (Studio 209 at Amelia Community Theatre)
- "Christmas Wedding Baby" on Saturday night, June 6th. In this romantic comedy, three sisters struggle to find happiness over the holidays as the youngest (and bride-to-be) discovers that her first love has been hired as her wedding photographer. Shot on Amelia Island's Centre Street and in Jacksonville, it was picked up and broadcast by the BET network. (Studio 209)
- Monday June 8th is dedicated to student filmmakers and the spotlight will shine on 17-year-old Connor Williams, the producer/director/co-star of “The Spoilers”, a "Breakfast Club" spoof starring Terry Kiser, the title character from "Weekend at Bernies." Connor financed this film by working at Pizza Hut. After the screening, there will be a Q&A at Hola Cuban Cafe.
- International day on June 9th is perfect for everyone who loves international film and will include appearances from artists coming from Egypt, Turkey, and Israel. The day closes with a special red-carpet salute to the 37 countries accepted into the festival (submissions came in from 82 countries.)
- A high-energy country rock concert by Nashville recording artist Shane Wooten on June 11th will be televised and streamed live on ACMT network. (Sheffield's at the Palace)
[caption id="attachment_1593" align="aligncenter" width="596"]
Sheffield's at the Palace, one of the Festival venues in Historic Downtown[/caption]
If you go:
- The Florida House Inn, located in Historic Fernandina Beach is offering a 10% discount, including a home cooked breakfast in a.m, private parking and complimentary glass of wine or beer.
- The Omni Amelia Island Plantation is offering a 10% discount on hotel and condo rooms for the Festival. (To redeem this discount, use the promo code "Movie" when booking. Note that 6/9/15 and 6/11/15 are already sold out.)
- Get an overview of island-wide accommodations here and check out the options for dining and shopping .
- The Rendezvous Festival App for iOS by VidPlat, free in the Mac App Store, is not just a guide but also allows visitors to film and crowd-direct a documentary of the 9-day-event. Users can also watch live streaming video, stream movies, hear music, and give real-time feedback.
Cool fact: the Festival is named after the legendary music club on Amelia Island’s American Beach that once hosted famed musicians such as Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Billie Daniels, and Ray Charles in the 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s before falling to Hurricane Dora in 1964.